Tuesday, February 12, 2013
List it Tuesday 2/12: Unintended Use
Sorry for the List it Tuesday delay! I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! (My stock line of excuses from one of my favorite movies -- anyone know it?)
This week's suggested topic: things you use, but not for their intended purpose. Some of mine make sense and others require some explanation.
1. Junk drawer -- we've been there already...
2. Erasers as stamps -- dollar store & x-acto knife!
3. Pickle jars as supply storage -- my family has finally put a halt to this. No more pickles.
4. Musical instruments as burglar alarm -- when our (everyone's) power went out during Sandy, so did our security system. I put jingle bells, maracas, tambourines, shakers, and drums in front of all the doors to cause an enormous racket and to give us enough time to call the cops if some looter came along.
5. Paper bags -- my favorite surface -- the plebeian, humble, toothy, thick, hearty kraft paper that is so perfect for taking paint.
6. Fly swatter as stencil -- this I haven't done yet, but I plan to. We've never used it (I'm not quick enough to catch a fly) and it has a beautiful, delicate, lacy patterned surface that has no business killing flies anyway.
7. Bathtub as laundry basket -- just as the Reverend Mother in the Sound of Music knew that Maria would never be a nun, I knew from the minute we moved in that our tub would never be a tub. Instead it is a gorgeous clawfoot laundry basket.
8. Heavy books -- precisely what I used to smash this drawing flat after I painted it. I love using Bristol paper for lettering, but it does not care for watercolor, and buckles terribly. I put it under 10 heavy books and then sat on the stack to finish the job.
9. Pencils and paintbrush (and crochet hooks) as hair sticks -- doesn't everyone?
10. Car trunk as paint studio -- our car still has paint all over the bumper after our art escapade with DJ.
Can't wait to see everyone's lists! The fly swatter got my mind buzzing with stencil ideas, so for next week I'll suggest making a list of things around your house/office/environment that you could use for a stencil. Have fun and go big! If we get enough ideas, I'll put together a master list as a reference tool for everyone. Have a great week!